Villa Maria Estate and Mount Riley were jointly awarded 'Champion Wine Producer' at the 2012 Spiegelau International Wine Competition last Friday to acknowledge both wineries' outstanding results at this show.
Villa Maria showcased its unrelenting passion for producing quality wines, scooping gold medals for their Private Bin, Cellar Selection, Reserve as well as Single Vineyard wines. The 100% New Zealand and family owned company who is currently celebrating its 50th Vintage secured seven gold medals in total at this show.
Now in its second year, the Spiegelau International Wine Competition attracted over 1100 New Zealand and off shore entries including wines from Spain, Portugal, France, South America and Italy. Mike de Garis, oversaw the judging of 1,136 entries and commented on the results: "We saw a diverse range of wines, many of outstanding quality. The Methode Traditionnelle, Riesling, Chardonnay and Shiraz/Syrah classes were highlights and many of these wines come at a very affordable price point."
A summary of Villa Maria's gold medals:
- Villa Maria Private Bin Marlborough Riesling 2012
- Villa Maria Cellar Selection Marlborough Riesling 2011
- Villa Maria Cellar Selection Hawkes Bay Merlot Cabernet Sauvignon 2010
- Villa Maria Reserve Hawkes Bay Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot 2009
- Villa Maria Reserve Marlborough Pinot Noir 2010
- Villa Maria Single Vineyard Seddon Pinot Noir 2010
- Villa Maria Single Vineyard Seddon Pinot Gris 2011