UK Wine Blogger and presenter Quentin Sadler, author of Quentin Sadler's Wine Page, (shortlisted for the Born Digital Wine Awards 2012 'best editorial' award, www.borndigitalwineawards.com) recently presented a tasting of fine red Burgundy wines at the sumptuous Criterion Restaurant in London's Piccadilly. In order to demonstrate the breadth and depth of Burgundy with just nine wines, he chose a selection of fine wines from Louis Jadot.
Quentin comments on his reasons for choosing wines from Louis Jadot: "In a region which is usually a patchwork of very small vineyards and producers it is very hard to get an overview of the place from this array of tiny farmer-winemakers. So a producer like Louis Jadot who is the largest landowner in the Côte d'Or really serves a useful purpose in providing a wide range of Burgundy wines. In such wonderful surroundings I really wanted to put on a tasting that would show the breadth of Burgundy - not easy with just nine wines - and I wanted also to show some mature examples, so it made sense to turn to my friends at Louis Jadot and they really came up trumps. Together we produced a line up that really shone and did justice to the venue as well as showing the different classifications and a variety of vintages."
The selected line-up of wines showed a cross-section of wines from the inviting entry-level Bourgogne Rouge up to the deeply impressive Grand Cru appellations:
- 2009 Louis Jadot Bourgogne Pinot Noir
- 2008 Louis Jadot Côte de Nuits-Villages Le Vaucrain
- 2008 Louis Jadot Santenay Clos de Malte
- 2003 Louis Jadot Volnay 1er Cru Clos de la Barre Monopole
- 2000 Louis Jadot Beaune 1er Cru Clos des Ursules
- 2005 Louis Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Les Cazetiers
- 2006 Louis Jadot Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru
- 1999 Louis Jadot Corton-Pougets Grand Cru
- 1991 Louis Jadot Clos Vougeot Grand Cru
Read Quentin's tasting notes and full summary of the event here