Villa Maria picked up the Champion Winery Trophy (joint) and the Champion Viognier Trophy at The Spiegelau International Wine Awards last Friday night. The two trophies adding to the haul of five gold medals across five different varietals.
The Villa Maria Single Vineyard Omahu Gravels Viognier 2010 was the trophy winning wine, whilst the trophy for champion winery was a joint award - Villa Maria notable in the trio for achieving an award for 90% of wines entered, five of those being golds.
Villa Maria Founder and Managing Director Sir George Fistonich commented on Villa Maria’s ability to shine at awards such as these, “After hundreds of trophies and thousands of gold medals, you might have thought that after 51 years we’d be starting to run out of steam, but quite the contrary, the accolades keep coming and we continue to succeed across all varietals,” he said.
Villa Maria’s Trophy and Gold medal results:
- Champion Winery (Joint)
- Champion Viognier - Villa Maria Single Vineyard Omahu Gravels Viognier 2010
- Villa Maria Reserve Wairau Valley Sauvignon Blanc 2012
- Villa Maria Single Vineyard Keltern Chardonnay 2012
- Villa Maria Single Vineyard Omahu Gravels Viognier 2010
- Villa Maria Reserve Marlborough Noble Semillon Botrytis Selection 2011
- Villa Maria Cellar Selection Marlborough Pinot Noir 2011