Villa Maria clocks up 34th year of industry award leadership with exceptional wine award result
Champion Wine Company of the Year, Winemaker of the show and five Trophies made for a dominant performance by the country's most awarded winery at the New Zealand International Wine Show.
The trophies added to the haul of 15 gold medals already announced which spanned almost the entire range of varietals that we make - an across the board performance Villa Maria is renowned for.
Four of the five trophy winning wines were made by talented winemaker Nick Picone who received Winemaker of the Show. This is the third winemaker of the year award Nick has won in recent years.
Villa Maria's General Manager of Winemaking and Viticulture Alastair Maling MW congratulated his team on their continued ability to dominate international wine award competitions.
"Five varietal trophies in one night is brilliant news for our team, to top that off with wine company of the year and a winemaker of the show is a good feeling. Nick is a uniquely talented winemaker with the kind of skills that can't be taught, we've got a great team and that's why we can achieve results like this," he said.
Villa Maria's Trophy winning results:
- Champion Wine Company of the Year
- Champion Winemaker of the Show - Nick Picone
- Champion Viognier - Villa Maria Single Vineyard Omahu Gravels Viognier 2010
- Champion Sweet Wine - Villa Maria Reserve Marlborough Noble Riesling Botrytis Selection 2012
- Champion NZ Bordeaux Red - Villa Maria Reserve Gimblett Gravels Hawkes Bay Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot 2010
- Champion Cabernet Sauvignon & Predominant blends - Villa Maria Reserve Gimblett Gravels Hawkes Bay Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot 2010
- Champion NZ Syrah - Villa Maria Cellar Selection Gimblett Gravels Hawkes Bay Syrah 2010