A beautiful shot, Meike and Dörte Näkel, a portrait of the German Pinot Noir winemakers from the famous wine estate Meyer Näkel, by German photographer David Weimann, has won the prestigious Errazuriz Wine Photographer of the Year, a category of Pink Lady® Food Photographer of the Year 2020, the world’s leading celebration of food and wine photography and film.
“This is such a beautiful image, full of love, depth and atmosphere,” says Caroline Kenyon, Founder/Director of the Awards. “The world is in the grip of Covid19 and normal life, whatever that may be, has stopped for all of us. But photos such as these remind us of the ways and cultural habits that mean so much to us and bind us together. We are all the same.”
Weimann had first won the People section of the category. Places was won by Thomas Hyland, USA, with A Langhe Winter and Produce was won by Patrick Desgraupes, France, with Clos Saint Patrice Sample.
The Covid19 lockdown did not defeat the celebrations. For the first time since the competition’s inception in 2011, the Awards evening was held online. Winners were announced by legendary musician and cheesemaker, Alex James, in a livestreamed event on the evening of Tuesday 28 April 2020. Itwas watched by thousands across the globe, including celebrities from the food and photography world.
“The standard was exceptional.” says Phil Turnbull, CEO of APAL, parent company of Pink Lady®, and headline sponsor of the Awards since 2011. “There were nearly 9000 entries from over 70 countries – this competition inspires across the world. It is a truly global coming together of talent.”
- Errazuriz Wine Photographer of the Year (Places) 2nd Jon Wyand, UK, Late Afternoon in March, Vallée des Vaux Côte Chalonnaise
- Errazuriz Wine Photographer of the Year (Places) 3rd LM Archer, USA, Patrimoine
- Errazuriz Wine Photographer of the Year (Produce) 2nd Matt Wilson, Chile, Wine Thief Delicacy
- Errazuriz Wine Photographer of the Year (Produce) 3rd Andrew Barrow, UK, Wine and Cheese
- Errazuriz Wine Photographer of the Year (People) 2nd John Carey, UK, Michael the Wine Man in the Pie Room
- Errazuriz Wine Photographer of the Year (People) 3rd Marina Spironetti, Italy, Time to Meditate
Chair of the Judges was the internationally-renowned food photographer David Loftus. This year his panel included Magui Chadwick, Family Ambassador, Vina Errazuriz & Vina Sena; Patrick Grabham, Art Director, Decanter Magazine; Anthea Loucas Bosha, CEO, Food & Wine Victoria; Joanna Simon, wine writer; Joe Wadsack, Celebrity Drinks Expert; Vitalie Taittinger, President, Champagne Taittinger. Chris Dee, Director, Food & Home, Harrods; Per-Anders Jorgensen, Photographer and Founder, Fool Magazine; Josh Lustig, Picture Editor, Financial Times Weekend Magazine.