Saint-Joseph Les Granilites Blanc 2018
Fresh with delicate notes of white flowers and white fleshed fruit, delicious aromatic notes, underscored by lovely smooth oakiness.
Here there is granite terrain formed by geologic alteration, and content carried in by the wind ensuring that the soils are good for water filtration and restriction. The principal soil and climate components that make for great Saint-Joseph wines can be found. These kinetics of slow maturation, give “Granilites” a potential for freshness, minerality and a particularly interesting tautness. The parcels of vines are located in the districts of Charnas, Tournon and Mauves, where the principal soil and climate components that make for great Saint-Joseph wines can be found. The altitude and wind exposure (including the Mistral) ensure natural regulation of pests while providing freshness throughout the summer. The parcels are mainly south-east facing.
Who would have predicted that this 2018 vintage would cause such joy and rank among the remarkable Rhône Valley vintages that have come on after another since 2015? Strong rains, heat waves and violent, localised storms were the marks of this vintage full of intensity and doubts, until the exceptionally hot September. It is a vintage where we had to react fast to relieve these hot waves, but that lead to prodigious wines with a great aging potential, with preserved acidity and silky tannins thanks to specific work in the cellar and on the tanks to maintain this balance.
The entire harvest is pressed directly, followed by cold settling for 48 hours. Fermentation takes place in 600 litre casks with natural yeasts. Ageing for 8 months. During the first two months, the lees are stirred to control and limit oxidation of the wine. 75% of ageing takes place in stainless steel tanks to preserve the wine’s freshness and minerality. The remaining 25% is matured in demi-muids (600l barrels) which gives ”Les Granilites” consistency, power and aromatic complexity.
- Grilled and Roasted White Meats
- Salads and Picnics
- Mild Creamy Cheeses
- Mature Strong Cheeses