Founded by Giovanni Gaja in 1859, the Gaja winery was built and has been owned and operated across five generations of the Gaja family and is now owned by Angelo Gaja, the founder’s great-grandson.
The Pieve Santa Restituta estate in Montalcino produces three Brunello di Montalcino wines from across 65 acres of vineyard holdings and became part of the Gaja estate in 1994.
After no less than 18 trips to complete the negotiations, the purchase of the historic 100ha Bolgheri estate in Tuscany took place in 1996 and is now known as “Ca-marcanda” – the house of endless negotiations. It was then another six years before Italian architect Giovanni Bo would complete the design and construction of a state-of-the-art winery, bringing to life Angelo’s vision for the building to blend discreetly with its surrounding. Built underground, the layout and design allows for the precision necessary to craft exceptional wines with minimal intervention.